Pages

Tuesday 5 July 2016

£10 Makeup Challenge!

The £10 makeup challenge. This can be quite a tricky task - making up your whole face, using a limited amount of money.

All of the makeup i used, is from Poundland's Make Up Gallery Range (excluding falsies, but these were from Poundland too!). Of course i would go to the place where you can get ten items for your money, rather than popping into Boots or Superdrug and only being able to get 5 or 6. I wanted to try out everything possible, without skipping any steps i would usually do!



My general go-to makeup look involves:

  • Foundation
  • Concealer
  • Eyebrows
  • Eyeshadows
  • Eyeliner
  • Mascara
  • Lipstick or gloss
  • Bronze or blush
  • Highlight

I managed to get a product that can be used for all of these categories. Plus i even added in some sneaky false lashes. I tried to pick up products that can be 'multi use' so i could try out even more items. * I tested all of these products for at least 1 week after the challenge to test out the longevity *



STEP 1: Foundation Total spent: £1
I'm pale. Really pale. I do not like the sun, or particularly going outdoors! So my skin tends to stay a looking like a milk bottle all year round. I also have quite pink toned skin, meaning a need a yellow foundation to balance this out.

I picked up the 'Gorgeous Flawless' Foundation in the shade Ivory. This foundation is supposed to be long wearing, matte and has UVA sun protection filters within, which is pretty good.


The texture of the foundation is almost mousse like, definitely not runny or drippy whatsoever. I applied this all over my face, and was quite impressed! The coverage of this foundation is light/medium, depending on how much you wear.  I have dry skin, and even though it was matte it didn't sink into any of my dry areas! It applied evenly and did not feel sticky on my face. 

The colour however was still a little dark for my pale pale skin, so i just blended it out quite well. It made me look slightly more tanned than usual, yet i didn't look ridiculous. This foundation lasted a good 10 hours without much colour fade or patchiness.

I am fairly impressed with this foundation, and will continue to use the rest of the bottle. I would like it if in the future lighter shades would be released! I have definitely used worst foundations that cost almost 7 times the price of this one!


STEP 2: Concealer Total spent: £2

If i am being honest about this concealer, i was dubious! I haven't picked up a stick concealer since 2008 (W7 famous Tea Tree concealer, great for the traditional 'concealer lips' look) and much prefer liquid or cream concealers. 

I was pleasantly surprised! 

I picked up the 'Hide and Chic' Concealer in the shade Ivory. This concealer is a natural coverage product.


I really did like this product. The concealer was creamy and hydrating without looking oily. I have dry skin, and did not need to apply pressed powder to set it down! It is definitely more 'natural coverage' than liquid concealers, however it still managed to cover the purple rings under my eyes and evened out my skin.

This concealer blended out really nicely, as it's really nice and creamy. and didn't crease throughout the day.



STEP 3: Brows Total spent: £3
Brows are hard to get right, and they are a step i cannot go without in my makeup routine!

I used the 'Take a Brow' Eye Pencil in the shade Blonde, as my brows are both warm toned blonde, and ashy brown - meaning it's very difficult to find a good match.

I have to say, the product names and packaging are very sleek and pretty!

When applying this product i immediately noticed it was very waxy. This made it a little hard to fill in my thick haired brows! My eyebrows felt quite sticky after using this, however as it was so waxy it set my eyebrows in place all day - they didn't budge!

The colour however was very nice. I'm not sure if it's 'blonde' enough for platinum haired buyers, however it matched my hairs perfectly, even better than the Anastasia Beverly Hills products, and they have alot of colours available.

I have actually continued to use this product (yes i like to get the most out of my things!) and instead of using it to fill my brows, I've been using it to set them at the end of my brow routine, and correct any colours that don't match my hairs.



STEP 4: Eyeshadows Total spent: £5
Typing this blogpost, i have been most excited to get to the shadows, there's no need for long lengthy explanations: i love these so much!

With good pigmentation, staying power and colours these eyeshadows are great for £1! I used 'White Frost' and 'Cappucino' for this look however also picked up some other colours to use outside of this challenge.

White Frost

Cappucino
I created a 'natural glam' look using these shadows, and used the Hide and Chic concealer to prime my lids beforehand. With this combination the shadows lasted a good 7 hours without budging.


My photogenic eye out of the two, and my UNphotogenic brow eeek.
STEP 5: Eyeliner Total spent: £6
I'm not going to ramble on about this, so if you would like to read a full length description of this liner, here's my blog post on it: eyeliner review



(Side note, its AMAZING)


This liner really added a glam factor to my look. Eyes are my favourite part of any makeup look, so it was important to me that i could get alot of eye products, without wasting the £10 and having none left for face makeup!

STEP 6: Mascara Total spent: £7

I picked up the 'Never Ending Story' Lengthening Mascara in the shade Black, however i wish i picked up the Carbon Black shade.



The wand is fairly big, yet not too chunky, so you don't have those 'poke yourself in the eye' incidents!

I found this mascara to be very natural looking. It definitely added length and colour to my lashes, but wasn't particularly dramatic. I would like to try the Voluminous Mascara from the same range too see how that came out.

I did however like it, it applied well, gave my lashes a natural fluttery length, and was easy to remove! It also lasted all day, and didn't flake or run when my eyes were watering (hayfever).


Two coats

STEP 7: Falsies Total spent: £8
I wanted this look to be more dramatic than an everyday look, so i had to add lashes. These particular one's were not in the Make Up Gallery range themselves, but they were from Poundland, and they were by a brand called Allura.


These eyelashes were fairly natural and you get two sets in a pack. The lash band is sturdy, yet flexible which i found easy when applying.

I actually cut my lashes in half, and just applied them to the outer corners of my eye. (so technically i only spent 50p total on the lashes!!)

These lashes were actually really nice. They were natural and easy to apply, and the glue that came with them was really good! I have continued to use the glue within my regular makeup looks, as it's pretty impessive!

STEP 8: Bronze/Contour Total spent: £8
This is where the multi-use products came in! I used my 'Cappucino' Eyeshadow as a bronzer/contour shade all across my face.

This product was great! It's the perfect contour colour for pale girls - not too orangey or not too grey.
It was also nice and long wearing. The eyeshadows lasted around 7-8 hours on my lids, and they did exactly the same on my cheeks. The colour was pigmented enough to give my face abit of definiton, yet wasn't so pigmented that i looked like i had wiped mud down my cheekbones!



STEP 9: Blush Total spent: £9
I find blushers to be a little iffy. They often make me look like a sparkly, red faced clown. I need to use really natural shades in order for any blushes to look decent! 

My absolute favourite blushes ever were in the Morphe Brushes 9B palette, however this Make Up Gallery Blush, has become my holy grail! I picked up the shade 'Soft'.


Aside from it's pretty packaging and large pan size, this product is great. The formula is silky and lightweight, letting you avoid that powdery thick look other blushes sometimes give off. The colour is natural yet pigmented - i only use one swipe on each cheek, but for more definition you could definitely use more.

STEP 10 - Highlighter Total spent: £9
Another multi use product here! I used my 'white frost' eyeshadow as a highlighter. I was a little unsure at first, as it really is a bright white colour, yet it looked so pretty on, and depending on your highlighter preference, colour come across really natural, or very dramatic.


This lasted on my skin around 7-8 hours, the same amount of time as the eyeshadows did on the eyelids. It did not look greasy at all, and was really great on my pale skin.


STEP 11: Lips Total £10!
I love nude lipsticks. I really really do, and would pick them anyday. However i found myself drawn to a pinky nude gloss. Yes that's right, a gloss. I haven't wore a lipgloss for years, so why i picked this, i do not know!

I picked up the 'Shine on' Lipgloss in Nice and Nude.


I love this lipgloss so much! It is very pigmented, so i only apply a small amount, but it is really very pretty. The formula is slightly sticky, but i wasn't particularly fussed about this.

This lipgloss lasted a good 2-3 hours before wearing off. It didn't crease or split around my lip line either.


THE FINAL RESULT


I am actually very impressed with this makeup look. I cannot believe i managed to complete every step i would usually do makeup wise, with added extra's! I also LOVE the face that alot of the products can be multi use.

I spent dead on £10 to create this look, and will definitely be recreating it in the future. I will continue to use every single product i used, even if they are for different purposes than they are intended.



Thanks for reading! Let me know, have you tried any of the Makeup Gallery Range?!
Chloe

No comments:

Post a Comment